The Heinkel He 177 was a 4-engined heavy bomber which entered service with the Luftwaffe in 1942. It had an interesting layout of double-engines driving a single propellor in each wing ‘pod’ which led to serious complications in the early development stages.
The He 177 was 70 mph faster than a Lancaster or Fortress and carried a similar bomb load, but rather than becoming a mass-produced success, relatively few were made, and the early design brief for it to double as a dive bomber caused huge problems too.
The He 177 continued in production until 1944, and was used against shipping as well as area bombing. It was armed with 4 x 13mm machine guns, 2 x 20mm cannon, and carried up to 6,000Kg of bombs internally or 3 x Fritz or Hs 293 glide bombs.
This example is an He 177 A-5 of 5./KG100 Luftwaffe 1944.