The Consolidated B-24 Liberator entered service in 1941 with the USAAF. It was a four-engined heavy bomber which was widely used during WW2 by the RAF, RAAF, and SAAF and many others.
The Liberator was more modern than the Fortress and outperformed it in many areas except the crucial problem of withstanding battle damage. It was however an outstanding production success with over 18,000 built and used in all theatres of the war.
The Liberator (B-24J) was armed with 10 x 12.7mm machine guns and carried a 8,000 lb bomb load for short range missions.
This example is a B-24J of the 44th Bomb Group USAAF circa 1944.