Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login


Submitted on
July 25, 2010
Image Size
130 KB


4,352 (1 today)
60 (who?)
FN FAL 2 by WS-Clave FN FAL 2 by WS-Clave
The FN FAL is a semi-automatic 7.62mm calibre rifle issued as standard to many military units throughout the world.

It has been made by Fabrique Nationale de Herstal (FN) in Belgium since 1954 and has been described as 'the right arm of the Free World'

Although not normally fully automatic, the FAL was put up as an answer to the AK-47, and it uses the longer cartridge giving a much improved range.

This example is a British issue FAL, called the SLR, which was in use until 1987, when it was replaced by the L85A1.
Add a Comment:
JohannKotze Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2014
Very very nice drawing.
NinjaAssassin415 Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2012
that gun is so awesome I love it
diversdream Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011
FYI Trooper Fishers Story

my dad never got over this and it haunted him til cancer claimed him a few years ago, he was finally found and returned to Aust in 2008 by the same group of volunteers that found both the Canberra crew and all the other MIA Vietnam members of Aust.

SAS: Phantoms of the Jungle
A History of the Australian Special Air Service,
Allen & Unwin

On the morning of 27 September 1969, at 0835,as the patrol approached a track which they had located the previous day, “they sighted eight well-armed NVA at a range of about ten metres.
The Australians froze, hoping that their camouflage would be successful against the background of the jungle, while for a full ten seconds the NVA stopped, looking in their direction.

Suddenly one NVA started to lift his AK47 and the Squad Leader and his forward scout, Private John Cuzens, shot three NVA with well-aimed shots to the chest and throat.
Private Les Liddington killed a fourth.
A group of NVA then tried to outflank the patrol to their right and they were engaged by the patrol second- in-command, Private David Fisher; one enemy was seen to fall as if hit in the body.

Under the Section Commanders direction the patrol withdrew using fire and movement.
The enemy expected the Australians to withdraw through thick jungle, but He chose a more open route and they covered about 300 metres before being located by the enemy.

By now the patrol had reached the Suoi Trong and as they scrambled up the bank two rounds from an RPG slammed into the bank.
He was pushing his medic up the bank and received slight shrapnel wounds to the face.

But the explosion was deafening; he felt an agonising stab of pain in his ear and blood started to run out of it down the side of his face.
Looking around he could see about 30 enemy in a semi-circle sweeping towards the creek.

Again he directed a withdrawal using fire and movement, and once they reached the cover of the primary jungle he ordered the patrol to stop firing and to remain motionless, standing back to back in a thick clump of vegetation.

Away to the east they could hear firing from another group of NVA and an enemy officer was blowing a whistle, directing the advance against the SAS.

'Gents, we aren't going to go no where', the Squads Commander stated quietly to his patrol.
Nearby he could see a small opening in the canopy where some artillery had exploded some months earlier,and he realised that they could be extracted from this area.

All around they could hear the enemy firing single shots, trying to draw their fire.

It was now about 1100 and he told the radio operator,Les Liddington, that he had to obtain communications with Nui Dat.
The patrol continued to stand back to back with the enemy moving all around.

Quietly they attached their Swiss seats and waited for the helicopter.
Suddenly the enemy came closer.

'Joe, we've got to move', whispered one of the patrol members.
'No', said Joe, 'we'll fight it from here'.

He pulled out an M26 grenade and put it in his top pocket.

Just then he heard the helicopters in the distance, vectoring in on the URC 10 beacon.

' About time', he thought, although it was less than half an hour since they had sent their message.

It started to rain again.

He let the Albatross lead come closer, not wanting to speak on his URC 10 in case he was heard by the NVA.

'Bravo Nine Sierra One One, this is Albatross Leader', came the voice over the radio.

Two or three minutes later the gunships started their run.

The Section Leader then threw a smoke grenade, the gunships opened fire,and the lead helicopter, piloted by F/O Michael Tardent RAAF, skilfully dropped its rope 20 metres down into the gap in the canopy.

There had been no enemy fire for some time, but now the patrol thought that they saw incoming tracer fire, and just before clipping on their Karabiners they delivered a long burst of fire towards the suspected enemy location.

They were lifted about ten metres off the ground and Paul Saxton became caught in the fork of a tree.
Van Droffelaar spoke on his URC 10 and the helicopter lowered sufficiently for Saxton to then extricate himself.

As soon as they were clear of the jungle the gunships moved in and the helicopter gathered speed.
The ropes were all at different lengths and Private David Fisher was on the longest rope.

Suddenly the other members realised that Fisher was missing; he had fallen from a height of about 30 metres.

The helicopter travelled about two kilometres, landed and allowed the four remaining patrol members to scramble aboard.
They then returned to the site where they thought Fisher had fallen but could see no sign of him.
By the time the helicopter reached Nui Dat Major Reg Beesley was preparing to lead a patrol to find Fisher.

Meanwhile Captain Ross Bishop took off in a Sioux accompanied by a light fire team, and he continued searching from about 1300 to 1500.

At about 1630 Beesley and a nine-man patrol rappelled into the jungle to begin the search, and next morning they were joined by C Company 9 RAR.
The company sighted three VC and killed one before it was relieved on 1 October 1969 by B Company 6 RAR.

Fisher's body was never found.

Aged 23, he was a National Serviceman whose tour had two months to run.
A subsequent investigation found that it was likely that in the heat of the moment he had attached his Karabiner not to the correct loop at the end of the rope, but to the false loop created where the free end of the rope had been taped back.”

The exact cause of his loss has never been established.

The scene in the US Movie PLATOON was based on this incident after Oliver Stone, himself a Vietnam Vet, met some ANZAC Vietnam Vets in the USA and they discussed his loss.

Fisher, D J E
Number: 2787344
Rank: Private (Trooper in SAS)
Unit: 3 SAS Sqd SASR
Service: Army
Conflict: Vietnam, 1962-1972
Date of Death: 27/09/1969
Place of Death: South Vietnam
Cause of Death: Missing presumed dead (battle casualty)
Memorial Panel: 5
Cemetery or Memorial Details:
Next Of Kin: Father - Mr W A Fisher

Minister for Defence Science and Personnel
Thursday, 11 September 2008


The Minister for Defence Science and Personnel, the Hon. Warren Snowdon MP, today announced that remains recovered in the Cam My District of Vietnam in late August have been officially identified as Private David Fisher.

Private David Fisher of the Special Air Services Regiment (SASR) fell from a rope beneath a Royal Australian Air Force helicopter during a “hot extraction” of his patrol on 27 September 1969.

It is now known that Private Fisher died as a result of the fall and was hastily buried by enemy soldiers who discovered his body afterwards.

“I am very pleased that the remains of this brave soldier have now been accounted for and his family, mates and country can finally welcome him home to rest in peace.

“Thankfully, Private Fisher’s identification tags were not removed and this has been extremely useful during the recovery process.

“Finding Private Fisher after nearly 40 years brings us near to the end of another chapter in the history of the Australia’s involvement in the Vietnam War,” Mr Snowdon said.

Planning is now underway to repatriate Private Fisher’s remains home to Australia.

Private Fisher is the fourth and last Australian Soldier to be located and his return will complete the recovery of all Australian Army personnel who were lost on operations and not recovered during the Vietnam War.
Lance Corporal Parker and Private Gillson were repatriated to Australian in June 2007 and Lance Corporal Gillespie in December 2007.

Two Royal Australian Air Force personnel, Flying Officer Michael Herbert and Pilot Officer Robert Carver remain unaccounted for from the Vietnam War.

The family of Private Fisher request that media respect their privacy during this difficult time.

diversdream Featured By Owner May 29, 2011
A lot of the SAS Lads preferred the SLR to the M16 in the 'bush' for more then a few reason but 2 my dad mentioned were they never jammed as much and had a better stopping power, and for the patrol work they were doing in Vietnam and Malaya were ideal for anything from sniping to close in work.

WS-Clave Featured By Owner Jun 4, 2011
Yep, a great all-rounder and a good successor to the Lee-Enfield as a 'standard issue rifle'

I was a passable shot in my RAF days, my father was a great shot especially with the Lee-Enfield - he won trophies at Bisley in his time in the RAF, and his father was a sniper in WW1...
diversdream Featured By Owner Jun 7, 2011
my dads fav gun was the Bren and the Owen - both of which he was a good shot with.
he used to say that the Bren was the only gun you could put a whole magazine of fire through the same hole in the target due to its accuracy.

the only complaint he had about it was the insert curse word here things weight.

but as a weapon he said it was second to none and in Vietnam even though it was unavailable several times SAS made requests for its use (or its more modern descendent)only to be told use the M60 - which while good was no where near as accurate in sustained fire.


WS-Clave Featured By Owner Jun 14, 2011
Aha, I have often cursed the weight of that thing - in my case an LMG, which was basically a Bren re-barreled for 7.62mm ammo. I was lucky though in that I only got to lug it around on exercises, my everyday routine was that of a technician involving no guns whatsoever :D
diversdream Featured By Owner Jun 15, 2011
yeah dad had a few tales about brens and their weight as well, esp the dammed tripod as he described it once..
WS-Clave Featured By Owner Jun 19, 2011
I had a bipod which was bad enough - but the most annoying thing about exercises was the officer in charge who would run off into the darkness carrying his pistol or sub-machine gun, and then bitch about me not keeping up - so many times I wanted to point out that he was 10 years younger than me and also carrying 1/4 of the weight...
diversdream Featured By Owner Jun 24, 2011
grins re officers
dad said when ever they tried to get him to go for a commission he would say i want to work for a living not sit on my a-- and fill out forms all day grins
he finished up as a WO2 but always said his best times was being a section leader as a corp.
Add a Comment: